CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Strawberry Cream Tarts

This recipe I found in the Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2002. My Mom got this book free from a friend and work, and gave it to me because she knows how much I love trying new recipes. If you have never seen a Taste of Home magazine or tried any of their recipes before, I highly recommend it.
This recipe was good, but I was expecting great because of my past Taste of Home recipe experiences. They were less custardy than what I thought they would be. Who knows it could have been the cook who erred though and I will try it again sometime :)

2 pkgs (6 count each) individual graham cracker tart shells
2 eggs whites, beaten
1 c sugar
1/2c plus 2 T all-purpose flour
3 c milk
2 whole eggs beaten
6 T butter cubed
2 T lemon juice
12 strawberries, hulled and sliced
12 blueberries
6 T strawberry jelly, melted

Preheat oven to 350. Brush the insides of the tart shells with eggs whites. Place on two cookie sheets and bake for 5 min, cool completely on wire racks.
In saucepan combine the sugar and flour, gradually stir in milk until smooth. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Once boiling cook and keep stirring for one min. Remove from heat. Stir a small amount of the hot milk mixture into the eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring mixture back to a gentle boil then cook for one min more. Remove from the heat, stir in lemon juice and butter and refrigerate until chilled.
Just before serving spoon custard into shells, then top with strawberries and blueberries. Spoon melted jelly over the fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment